Step inside Pringle Cottage
AS some Warwickites may have been able to recognise, one of the most iconic buildings in the Rose City - Pringle Cottage - is pictured above.
The site of Pringle Cottage has of course since been turned into the Pringle Cottage and Museum by the Warwick and District Historical Society, and now has several buildings with countless artefacts detailing the history of the Rose City.
Pringle Cottage was built about 1870 by Scottish stonemason John McCulloch and by 1872 a private school opened there.
A tradition of private schools continued until 1902 when the cottage became a private residence. It has a variety of names during its lifetime from Mountview to Oxford Lodge, however the historical society named it Pringle Cottage after the last principal, Frances Pringle, whose private school Milton College opened in the building in 1898.
There are now a number of other buildings on the site, including the Eastwell Hall, which was the former Willowvale Presbyterian Church, erected by voluntary labour in 1909.
The church was moved to Gillam Street in Glennie Heights in the 1950s, however after falling into disuse it was made available to the historical society for the cost of removal and was transferred to its current position in 1972.
It was named the Leslie Burt Eastwell Hall after the former president of the society and a son of WJ Eastwell, one of the founders.
Another building, which provides much needed additional display space, is The Emporium, which was built in 1982 by Mike Biller.
The Overseers Cottage is reputed to have been built on Canning Downs station sometime pre-1900. It was moved into town, most recently at the current site of the Southern Downs Regional Council on Fitzroy Street, and arrived at the Dragon Street sit of the museum in 1974, again for the cost of removal.
The Print Museum was an initiative of the Warwick Daily News, funded and built by the historic news organisation, to preserve the printing technologies of the past century.
It features an array of historic printing technologies.
The information used in this article was supplied by the Warwick and District Historical Society.