Queensland’s new chance to make Gallipoli centenary

QUEENSLANDERS have a second chance to be involved in next year's commemorations of the 100th anniversary of the Anzac landings in Gallipoli.

More than 280 people across Australia declined the opportunity to attend the event after securing tickets earlier this year in the national ballot.

Runners-up in the original ballot will be placed in a second draw made up of the returned tickets.

Veterans Affairs Minister Michael Ronaldson told the ABC there could be a possibility for more Queenslanders to put their name forward after tickets were drawn in the second round.

"There has been about 7% of people who have declined the tickets, which is about 280 people," he said.

"We believe they have done that for a variety of reasons including the cost of getting to Gallipoli and the travel involved.

"Also, we have been quite strong in telling people that this is not a walk in the park. It is quite physical and you have to be in good health to do the amount of walking that is required."



Southern Downs Anzac Day service times and road closures

Southern Downs Anzac Day service times and road closures

The region will stop on Wednesday to pay respect for Anzac Day

Warwick veteran heads back to the battleground

Warwick veteran heads back to the battleground

Next week Barry Kelly will return to Vietnam for the first time.

GREAT SNAPS: Warwick soldiers read local rag on battlefields

GREAT SNAPS: Warwick soldiers read local rag on battlefields

Newspapers give a little piece of home to soldiers

Local Partners