Rob's best Chicken Winter Pie
ROB'S best chicken, mushroom, beer and marjoram winter pie will remind you of home even if you are far away. It is best served on those days when you have to wear a beanie!
- 400gm chicken thigh in bite size pieces
- 200gm cup mushrooms roughly chopped
- 2 sheets frozen pampas puff pastry
- 3 tbsp light olive(eg Lupi light)oil for frying
- 1 brown onion finely chopped
- 2 cloves garlic crushed
- 1tsp tabasco sauce or ½ tsp sambal oelek
- 1/2 cup Coopers Sparkling
- 1/3 cup vegetable stock
- A few sprigs of fresh marjoram finely chopped or dried
- ½ cup frozen peas (nuke them for 1 minute
- 1 tsp raw sugar
- Freshly milled pepper
- 2 tsp cornflour and cold water for thickening
- Egg glaze (for basting top)
- Preheat oven to 200 degrees c.
- Preheat a frypan the (about the size of the pie dish), add garlic and onions to caramelise and set aside in covered dish.
- Add more oil and brown mushrooms, set aside with the above. Mix together.
- Brown the Chicken quickly (don’t cook it right through or it will be dry).
- Return the mix to the pan with the chicken. Add the beer, stock, tabasco, worcestershire sauce, marjoram, and nuked peas. Bring to a simmer for 5 minutes. Season with pepper to taste.
- Mix cornflour with a small amount of cold water to blend smoothly. Add this mixture to the pan to thicken. Add more if needed. Set aside to cool down a bit.
- Lightly Grease the pie dish with olive oil. Line with a sheet of thawed puff pastry. Put a few fork prints in the bottom. Trim edges.
- Add cooled chicken mixture to the pie dish. Wet pie edges with water and attach another piece of puff pastry. Press with a fork all around the edges so it doesn’t explode I the oven. Put some fork marks in the top to let steam escape. Brush the top with egg. Have a sip of beer.
Place pie on middle shelf of oven and cook for 20minutes or until nice and golden and the pastry is cooked well.