Broken legs, exposed bone and given only Nurofen
DIGIT the blue-eyed blue heeler puppy has a long road to recovery after being heavily neglected.
The 8-week-old puppy arrived at QLD RSPCA on Monday night with extensive injuries.
Both back legs were broken and she had exposed bone on her paw.
As well as being hit by a car last week, Digit was allegedly given Nurofen instead of being sent to experts for urgent medical care.
RSPCA vets were worried about organ failure from Nurofen and specialist surgery was done on Wednesday after Digit was put on a drip to flush poisoning from her system.
Spokesman for RSPCA Queensland Michael Beatty said Digit will lose two toes in her front left paw and the swelling in her front right leg will need bandaging for a while.
"She'll be ready for adoption in a couple of months but Digit has a fair way to go beforehand," Mr Beatty said.
RSPCA Inspector Clare Gordon stressed how important it is to get pet insurance and that "you can't leave the animal to suffer just because you're financially unable to care for them."
"Do not give animals human medications because they can be completely toxic to animals," Ms Gordeon said.
"What you can give yourself you cannot give to animals."
Internal Medical Resident at Queensland Veterinary Specialists Dr. Anjie Annear said to reduce the likelihood of this happening to your pets, keep personal medications out of their reach and to "never medicate your pets without veterinary advice."
"Ibuprofen is a non-steroidal anti-inflammatory medication which can cause gastrointestinal signs such as vomiting and stomach ulceration," she said.
A total cost of $9,500 will be needed to cover the cost of Digit's full recovery.
The person of interest in Digit's case has been identified and prosecution proceedings will commence soon.
You can donate to help Digit at chuffed.org/project/helpdigit