Text messages earn ex-boyfriend three weeks behind bars

SENDING text messages was enough to have a 20-year-old Toowoomba man spending three weeks behind bars.

Between January 5 and April 16, Anthony Joseph Zorzi had sent between 10 and 20 text messages each day to his former girlfriend of three years, Toowoomba Magistrates Court heard.

At a court hearing in November last year, Zorzi had been ordered to have no contact at all with the woman.

Police prosecutor Senior Sergeant Bill McKenzie said none of the text messages were threatening or abusive but they were not welcomed by the recipient who eventually went to police.

The woman had been fearful that Zorzi would assault her new boyfriend, Sgt McKenzie said.

Zorzi pleaded guilty to breaching the court order, his solicitor Claire Graham telling the court her client had had difficulty accepting the break-up of the relationship and had since been diagnosed with depression.

Magistrate Damian Carroll said breaching court orders was very serious.

He declared the 24 days Zorzi had spent in custody as time served under the sentence and sentenced him to two months jail but suspended the term for 12 months and released him from custody.



St Mark's community still growing after 150 years

St Mark's community still growing after 150 years

Warwick church rings in a special birthday with Queensland Governor

Anzac Day drug driver to face Warwick court

Anzac Day drug driver to face Warwick court

A 28-year-old man allegedly caught under the influence of drugs

How two South African ministers ended up in Warwick

How two South African ministers ended up in Warwick

A dream pushed this pair across the sea and into the Rose City

Local Partners