Severe storm warning issued for Toowoomba area
FOR people in parts of the Toowoomba Council Area.
Issued at 3:43 pm Friday, 25 December 2015.
The Bureau of Meteorology warns that, at 3:40 pm, severe thunderstorms were detected on weather radar north of Wellcamp Airport.
These thunderstorms are moving towards the north. Damaging winds and large hailstones are likely.
Queensland Fire and Emergency Services advises that people should:
- Move your car under cover or away from trees.
- Secure loose outdoor items.
- Seek shelter, preferably indoors and never under trees.
- Avoid using the telephone during a thunderstorm.
- Beware of fallen trees and powerlines.
- For emergency assistance contact the SES on 132 500.
A more general severe thunderstorm warning is also current for parts of the Channel Country district.
Warnings are also available through TV and Radio broadcasts, the Bureau's website at www.bom.gov.au or call 1300 659 219.
The Bureau and Queensland Fire and Emergency Services would appreciate warnings being broadcast regularly.