Severe storms on way, likely to bring heavy rainfall
A SEVERE thunderstorm warning has been issued for the region, potentially bringing large amounts of much-needed rain.
The Bureau of Meteorology warns the storms could are likely to produce heavy rainfall that may lead to flash flooding over the next several hours.
Areas predicted to be in the firing line included Warwick, Stanthorpe, Toowoomba, Dalby, Kingaroy, Esk, Laidley, Gatton and Nanango.
Warwick has recorded 4.2mm so far today.
Queensland Fire and Emergency Services advises that people should:
- Move your car under cover or away from trees.
- Secure loose outdoor items.
- Never drive, walk or ride through flood waters. If it’s flooded, forget it.
- Seek shelter, preferably indoors and never under trees.
- Avoid using the telephone during a thunderstorm.
- Beware of fallen trees and powerlines.
- For emergency assistance contact the SES on 132 500.