Supervision extended for child sex offender
A CONVICTED child sex offender with a sordid history of preying on young children has had his parole supervision order extended for a further three years.
Mark Anthony Foy, 43, was recently released from jail after serving a four-and-a-half year sentence after being found guilty on 13 indecent dealing offences.
His offences in 1999 and 2000 involved nine children who were aged between six and 12 years old.
Attorney-General Jarrod Bleijie made an application in the Brisbane Supreme Court to have Foy's parole supervision orders extended, claiming he posed an unacceptable risk of reoffending.
The hearing, earlier this month, was told Foy had been living in Harrisville near Ipswich but was forced to flee after locals ran him out of town.
His employer at the time in the small community reportedly did not know the full extent of his crimes.
Justice David Boddice, in handing down his decision on Tuesday granting the Attorney-General's application, said the risk of Foy reoffending in the future was high in the absence of strict conditions.
Foy is considered a dangerous sexual offender so he is subject to supervision orders whether he is in or out of prison.
"While it is to his credit he has not committed a further sexual offence while on the initial supervision order, indeed since 2000, his behaviour must be considered in context," he said.
"He has been the subject of a strict supervision order containing strict conditions since 2006.
"I am satisfied, in the exercise of my discretion, that a further supervision order ought to be made for a period of three years from the expiry of the existing order."
Attorney-General Jarrod Bleijie said in a statement to APN Newsdesk that Queensland now had the strongest anti-sex offender laws in the country and he would continue to fight to ensure children are protected from predators.
- APN NEWSDESK.