Teen in court for police abuse

TEENAGER Marli Shayne Turner-Bryan breathed a sigh of relief this week after she narrowly avoided a suspended sentence for unleashing a tirade of abuse at police.

The 17-year-old appeared in court after spending 24 hours behind bars earlier this week for breaching the bail conditions related to a grievous bodily harm charge.

The court heard Turner-Bryan, who divides her time between Warwick and the Sunshine Coast, was among a group of people loitering outside Rose City Shoppingworld on June 23.

Police performing foot patrols noticed the group blocking shoppers and directed the youths to move on.

Turner-Bryan was then heard to become abusive and aggressive towards police, hurling a number of obscenities and derogatory names at them.

Magistrate Anne Thacker, who scolded Turner-Bryan for her belligerence, said she considered imposing a suspended sentence due to the serious nature of Turner-Bryan's actions.

“You and your age group do not own the streets and you do not own the public spaces,” Magistrate Thacker said.

The magistrate told Turner-Bryan the level of the public nuisance was enough to earn her a jail sentence and warned her a repeat incident would carry a longer jail sentence than 24 hours.

The teenager also pleaded guilty to two breaches of bail conditions relating to a charge of grievous bodily harm.

One of the bail conditions the teen is required to adhere to is a nightly curfew requiring her to be home between 9pm and 7am and she was to only reside at her mother's Marcoola residence.

Police attended the home at 9.30pm on July 20 but her mother said she had left the home 10 minutes earlier.

In a second incident, police attended the residence and asked to speak with the teen but were told by her mother she had moved out of the home two weeks before and her mother was unsure of where she was living.

The court heard Turner-Bryan had fought with her mother and was now living in Warwick with her grandmother.

On Monday, Turner-Bryan surrendered herself to the Warwick police for the breaches, was subsequently taken into custody and spent the night behind bars.

She was convicted and fined $350 for the public nuisance offence and convicted but not further punished for the two counts of breaching bail conditions.

Turner-Bryan will front court next month, alongside her 16-year-old co-accused – who cannot be named because of her age.

Both girls will face a charge of grievous bodily harm.

The charges relate to an incident of July 4 where a large brawl broke out in Gore and Percy Sts and a teen's jaw was allegedly “split in half, right down the middle”.

Turner-Bryan allegedly took to her Facebook page following the brawl to brag about her love of “kickin' and stomping bitches” and boasted “Haha another mad brawl to add to the collection”.

The teens will front Warwick Magistrates Court for a committal hearing on October 13.

Hundreds revved up for iconic Heritage Weekend

Premium Content Hundreds revved up for iconic Heritage Weekend

Machinery enthusiasts expected to bring dollars and a contagious love of machinery...

Jilted lover vandalises new boyfriend’s car

Premium Content Jilted lover vandalises new boyfriend’s car

The Warwick man claimed he was ‘driven by jealousy’ when he caused more than $1300...

Mammoth road funding secured for Maranoa Electorate

Premium Content Mammoth road funding secured for Maranoa Electorate

Tens of millions of dollars of funding have been secured for road safety upgrades...