Dalby bomb blast victim recovering from shock attack
THE family of Dalby bomb blast victim Matthew Trcka is struggling to understand why the popular 36-year-old was the target of a potentially deadly attack.
Mr Trcka has endured a terrible run in the past 12 months, after being injured in a North Queensland car crash which claimed the life of his wife Kylie on July 16 last year.
His brother John Trcka said Matthew arrived home from work on Tuesday to find a package, with his name on it, on his front steps.
Matthew was sitting on a chair in his lounge room opening the parcel when it exploded.
John said his brother sustained a break and deep cuts to his left arm as well as burns from his belly to his head.
"Matt had to put himself out," John said.
"He thought his face was blown off."
He said craft nails were sprayed into the roof and floor as well as around the lounge room. Luckily, none penetrated Matthew.
"It is terrifying and upsetting because of what Matt has been through," John said.
Matthew was yesterday undergoing scans on his arm at Dalby Hospital before being discharged to stay with his parents.
The lifelong Dalby community member has been overwhelmed with support and well wishes.
John said his brother was well-liked and had been inseparable from his wife during their four-year marriage.
"We just can't fathom someone knew Matt well enough to put his name on a box.
"It is a cowardly act."
Matthew's Facebook page has been filled with messages of support.
John said his brother couldn't understand who would want to hurt him.
"He is a bit gutted and disappointed."
John said it was good his brother had recovered enough to leave hospital.
"He is still very sore.
"It is just healing now."
Dalby Burnett Patrol Group officer Acting Inspector Terry McCullough said the package was not delivered by Australia Post.
Forensic experts are working to determine its contents and origin.
Anyone with information can call Crime Stoppers on 1800 333 000.