Thermomix explodes leaving mum with burns
IT WAS a heated battle between mum-of-four Sonya Enkelmann and her Thermomix when it exploded while making dinner.
Gracemere local, Sonya said she was left with burns to her face, chest, arms and fingers as well as an extremely messy kitchen to clean up.
Thermomix was responsible for 87 burns cases in Australia, according to consumer advocacy group Choice.
Sonya said she was cooking silverside, from a recipe she found on a community forum, when the Thermomix drama unfolded.
What Choice Magazine said about the Thermomix _ see below this story
"So I used a piece of Silverside which was bigger than stated so when I put my piece of meat in I put it in the basket and it covered up the hole, so then it didn't breath and it created a vacuum while it was cooking," Sonya said.
"I had it on for 20 minutes on the highest speed and underneath was like a vegetable puree sort of soup consistency so when the timer went off and I went to unlock, it was tight which I thought was odd but I have four kids and I was in a hurry so I was sort of trying to get dinner on the table.
"So I gave it a little force and as soon as I got it to the point of having enough to unlock the whole lid, it just exploded. We had liquid spray right to the other side of the kitchen so it sprayed probably a good four or five meters, all over the roof, the whole kitchen, cupboards, the fridge."
Thankfully she said when the Thermomix exploded the lid flipped towards her it pushed the hot food in the opposite direction.
The heat from the food caused burns to her arms, face, chest and back of her fingers as well as peeling skin straight off her nose.
"So my worst burns would probably have been to the face and the ones on my arms."
"I didn't (go to hospital) I just went and jumped in the shower for 20 minutes then come back and dealt with the mess of the kitchen, that was the worst bit because it had spread, it went everywhere."
Sonya who admits the accident was a fault of her own, contacted the Thermomix company to tell them what happened to her so they could warn others of the possible danger.
"They (Thermomix) were really great in contacting me to see if it was one of their recipes so they could revise it and fix it up if there was an issue but there wasn't but they we're still very good."
Sonya admits although she isn't scared of using the Thermomix, she does stay away from cooking silverside.
"I use it multiple times a day, I've got two bowls and it gets used every day if not sometimes 10 times a day."
"It even came around Australia with me on my three month trip, it has its own carry bag," she laughed.
The Morning Bulletin has contacted Thermomix and are awaiting a reply.
WHAT IS A THERMOMIX?
Thermomix is a kitchen appliance made and sold exclusively by the Corporate Group Vorwerk. It sells for about $2000.
The word "Thermomix" comes from the combination of "thermo" (heating) and "mix" (mixing).
The current Thermomix provides three basic functions: A heating element, a motor for fast or slow blending and stirring and it can weigh the stack of cooking pots and pans.
What Choice Magazine said about the Thermomix
The not so good