Three-year-old survives backyard snake bite scare
SONYA Gillespie is counting her lucky stars after her three-year-old son Curtis survived a snake bite this week.
Curtis was playing in the family's Dianne Ct backyard while his dad Terry mowed on Thursday afternoon but soon rushed in with the shocking news.
"I was inside getting tea ready and next thing Curtis came in crying and said a snake bit him," Mrs Gillespie.
The quick-thinking mum of four scooped up her youngest son, loaded him into the car and set off for help.
"Panic didn't set in until after we got him to the hospital - I just didn't have time to think about it," she said.
Tests at the hospital were unable to confirm what sort of snake had bitten Curtis and it seems little or no venom made it into his system.
He was back on the mend and home again in two hours.
"He was a little bit sick in the belly that night and he has a sore and swollen ear but other than that, he's fine" she said.
Mrs Gillespie has used the experience to reinforce snake safety to her kids. "He is a really lucky boy and we are just glad he is okay," she said.