John Enosa (right) in action this season.
John Enosa (right) in action this season. Gerard Walsh

Tough challenge for reserves

A 2-1 loss to South Hawks has made it even tougher for the Warwick reserves team to make the top four in Football Toowoomba fixtures. The side is now in fifth spot with just two fixture games remaining.

Unfortunately both games will be played this weekend. The game postponed 10 days ago against Rockville is now scheduled for Friday night in Toowoomba.

The reserves game on Sunday kicked off at 11am against top-of-the-table South Hawks.

Both teams were unwilling to give up possession of the ball easily and fought hard on the attack.

Both also had several misguided shots early in the match but were unable to find the back of the net.

After 30 minutes of play and with both sides settling into a routine, Dom Benz took advantage of a slow defence, breaking through to the base line; Brett Sinkins placed himself well to receive a through ball and placed it firmly into the back of the net.

Unfortunately the Warwick lead was short-lived. Hawks scored an equaliser five minutes later then another just before half-time to lead 2-1 which ended up being the final score.

The Wolves premier division side has found some late form, albeit too late to make the final rounds.

The side took to the field at 3pm Sunday. Unfortunately with some players away, suspended or injured they had to rely on several reserve grade players to make up the side.

It was clear from the outset that Warwick was not going to come away with another loss.

They held the ball well and players seemed to be moving around the park making themselves available.

Robbie Davey played one of his best games of the season, helping the front line create several early opportunities.

Thirty minutes into the first half, due to a great counter attack, Johnny Enosa netted his first goal of the day beating the goalkeeper in a one-on-one challenge.

Nick Lockley was unlucky not to net a 30m left foot strike into the top left hand corner not long after that.

The Wolves came out strong after the halftime break. Enosa was once again the recipient of another great build up from well within their own half and beat the keeper again.

With a comfortable lead in hand, Warwick settled into a defensive game and held the ball well to win 2-0.

The Warwick ladies had a bye at the weekend but head to Harristown this weekend to contest their final fixture match against Highfields.

The men’s reserve and premier sides will back up from their Friday night matches against Rockville to play Gatton at home on Sunday.

New Rose City citizens celebrate true Australian welcome

Premium Content New Rose City citizens celebrate true Australian welcome

From establishing a successful restaurant to finding the love of their life, new...

Woman busted with stash of 50 ‘heroin needles’

Premium Content Woman busted with stash of 50 ‘heroin needles’

Woman was growing a personal supply of marijuana, Warwick court heard.

Warwick set to cool with rainy days ahead

Premium Content Warwick set to cool with rainy days ahead

Rose City residents could be in for stormy weather this week. FIND OUT WHERE IT’S...