Victoria lockout: Premier says National Cabinet to decide
PREMIER Annastacia Palaszczuk says she is being stopped in the streets by people concerned by an outbreak of coronavirus in Victoria and the potential of a second wave in Queensland.
Ms Palaszczuk said she expected National Cabinet to discuss Victoria's situation later this week.
Asked if the cluster could push back the July 10 reopening date, Ms Palaszczuk pointed to the road map to easing restrictions - which says it would be subject to a review at the end of the month.
"We've made it really clear that the Chief Health Officer will be making a decision at the end of this month," she said.
"She'll be making a decision and providing advice to Government.
"The AHPCC has also said they have concerns about Victoria and I have concerns about Victoria.
"There is a lot of active community transmission happening in Victoria and I hope that Victoria can get this community transmission under control."
Ms Palaszczuk claimed the Prime Minister had made it clear that he did not want states opening up to some states and not others.
"I think it's something we all need to look at in relation to what's happening in Victoria," she said.
"We do not want to see a second wave here in Queensland."
Ms Palaszczuk said she would wait to see what would happen at National Cabinet on Friday before making a decision on how Queensland would reopen.
"I'm not going to pre-empt National Cabinet," she said.
"I think that's the responsible thing to do. I think we'll have a very lengthy discussion about this."
It comes as Ms Palaszczuk confirmed there had been no new cases of coronavirus overnight.
It means there are currently three active cases in Queensland, for a total of 1,076 since the outbreak began.
The Premier is in Spring Mountain in Ipswich, spruiking the Government's first home buyers' grant.
"If you are a first homeowner and looking to buy your first home, now is the opportunity," she said.
"Construction and building means jobs."
The Government announced last week that it would be extending its $15,000 first home buyers' grant, and would introduce a $5,000 grant for new homes outside the southeast.
Originally published as Victoria lockout: Premier says National Cabinet to decide