WARNING: Severe thunderstorm heading for Southern Downs
THE Bureau of Meteorology has issued a severe thunderstorm warning for the Southern Downs with large hail, damaging winds and heavy rainfall predicted.
The warning applies to people in parts of the Somerset, Scenic Rim, Southern Downs, Toowoomba and Lockyer Valley areas.
Queensland Fire and Emergency Services advises people should:
- Move your car under cover or away from trees.
- Secure loose outdoor items.
- Never drive, walk or ride through flood waters. If it's flooded, forget it.
- Seek shelter, preferably indoors and never under trees.
- Avoid using the telephone during a thunderstorm.
- Beware of fallen trees and powerlines.
- For emergency assistance contact the SES on 132 500.
As at 1.40 pm, severe thunderstorms were detected on the weather radar near the area south of Esk, the area southwest of Esk and Kincora.
These thunderstorms are moving towards the east to northeast.
They are forecast to affect Esk, the area west of Esk, the area northwest of Esk, Cunninghams Gap, Leyburn and northern Lake Wivenhoe by 2.20 pm and Moogerah, Ellangowan, Somerset Dam, Toogoolawah, the area northwest of Cunninghams Gap and the area west of Toogoolawah by 2.50 pm.