WARWICK RECIPE SWAP: Recreate Belle Vue and Bluebird treats
NOTHING beats having someone cook for you, but if you feel like rolling up your sleeves and taking on some of the best dishes the Rose City has to offer, the Warwick Daily News has got you covered.
Chefs from Warwick institutions Belle Vue Cafe and Bluebird Kitchen kindly revealed the secrets to their family favourites, perfect for those seeking to impress at their next gathering.
BELLE VUE CAFE'S BANOFFEE PIE
A HOT coffee on a cold morning isn't complete without a cheeky slice of Belle Vue Cafe's banoffee pie.
Chef Mark Favero said the classic dessert was a favourite amongst customers at the century-old Warwick restaurant.
Now it's your chance to bring the Belle Vue home with this simple recipe guaranteed to impress at your next afternoon tea.
- 1 packet scotch finger biscuits
- 100gm melted butter
- 1 tin condensed milk
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 1/4 cup golden syrup
- 30g butter
- 4 ripe bananas
- 300ml whipped cream
1. Add scotch fingers to a food processor and blend until the mixture resembles coarse crumbs.
2. Gently pour in melted butter.
3. Press biscuit mixture evenly into a pie tin lined with baking paper.
4. Cook filling in a small pot over low heat until it begins to look glossy and thickens slightly, around 10 - 12 minutes.
5. Carefully pour filling into pie crust and set in the fridge for at least one hour.
6. Peel and slice bananas to arrange over the caramel filling.
7. Top pie with a generous serving of whipped cream and serve immediately.
Belle Vue Cafe is located at 119 Palmerin St, Warwick. The cafe is open from 7.30am to 4pm on weekdays, 8am to 2pm on Saturdays and 8am to 1.30pm on Sundays.
BLUEBIRD'S TEX-MEX POTATO SALAD
BLUEBIRD chef Jim Osborne is known for his meat smoking finesse, but this simple recipe won't require you to invest in coals or woodchips to create a little bite of Warwick's best at home.
This tex-mex inspired dish is vegetarian, waist-line friendly and delicious!
- 1kg potatoes
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 2 red capsicums
- 1 fresh red chilli
- 1 whole garlic head
- 2 tbsp mayonnaise
- ½ tsp ground cumin
- 1 tsp paprika
- 2 spring onion stalks
- 1 handful of fresh parsley
- 1 handful of fresh coriander
- 1 fresh lime
1. Pre-heat oven to 200C.
2. Toss whole potatoes in oil and place on a baking tray. Bake in oven until soft the entire way through.
3. Grill the capsicums and chilli on a high heat until their skin blackens, then place in an airtight container for ten minutes.
4. De-seed and peel the skin off from the capsicums and chilli.
5. Place capsicums, chilli, mayonnaise and spices in a blender and blend until smooth. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
6. Roughly chop the potatoes into bite sized pieces and combine in a bowl with chopped herbs, onion stalks. Finally, stir in the mayonnaise blend.
Bluebird Kitchen and Cafe is located at 130 Palmerin St, Warwick. The restaurant is open from 8am to 2.30pm Monday to Saturday, with dinner service available from 5.30pm to 8.30pm Wednesday and Thursday, and later until 10pm on Friday and Saturday. On Sundays the restaurant is open from 9am to 2pm.