Waste collection slug
WARWICK business owners could be slugged with increased commercial and industrial waste collection charges thanks to a council budget decision to put the work out into the open market.
A council spokeswoman said the decision was made as this form of waste collection is not considered to be “core council business”, with costs in Stanthorpe likely to be at least double.
Council this week conceded that it had assumed service provider J J Richards would automatically continue its collection, but the firm has since advised that for legal reasons individual customers must sign their own contracts with the company.
Planning and Environment director Ken Harris said the decision has been made on June 29 to come into effect on July 1, admitting that the timeframe made it difficult to advise business owners, some of whom are understood to still be waiting on advice of the change.
Under the previous council-based arrangement, Warwick businesses were charged for collection of bulk waste in industrial bins based on the square-metre capacity of their bin, up to a maximum of $45.87 per collection for largest size.
The maximum charge in Stanthorpe was $22.96 per collection, with the council also admitting this week Stanthorpe businesses had been paying “below actual costs:” for their service all along.
The Daily News yesterday contacted J J Richards seeking advice on how much they would charge any customers they signed up by no response was received by time of printing last night.
It is understood other waste firms, including Cleanaway and Wanless, also have the capacity to provide a business waste collection service.
A council spokeswoman encouraged businesses to recycle their waste as a way of controlling collection costs.
Are you a business owner concerned about the change? Call the Daily News with your story on 4660 1310.