Works scrapped from council to do list
FIFTEEN projects have been removed from the Southern Downs Regional Council's budget after the councillors took a close look at their ever-growing to-do list.
The four-page list of projects not yet started was compiled by council officers after a request from councillors.
Acting director of corporate services Tony Brett said several projects were identified as no longer applicable.
"Reasons include changes in priorities, the works being incorporated into other projects and the proposed works being contingent on other events which have not occurred," he said.
Among the jobs given the flick was the $50,000 plan to update the fire and emergency alarm system at the Warwick Town Hall as the current system is not monitored by the fire service.
Also removed was an $11, 240 contingency plans for the library air conditioner which had been on the books since before 2005.
The council was unsure when plans to upgrade the cemetery notice boards were placed in the budget but the $7,500 project was removed and postponed until next financial year.
Overall a total of $384, 477 worth of projects was removed from the budget, during the special meeting held on October 8.
More council news in tomorrow's Daily News.
Head to southerndowns.qld.gov.au, click on council meetings, agendas and then select a committee to see what will be discussed at tomorrow's meetings.
Email email@example.com if there is something you would like us to report on from the meetings.