THE BOOK CLUB COMPETITION (‘the promotion’)
1. The Promoter is APN Newspapers Pty Ltd (‘the promoter’) of 2 Holt Street, Surry Hills, New South Wales 2010. ABN 21 009 657 943. Telephone Number: 07 5430 1021. Authorised under Permit NSW/LTPM/20/05376.
2. Information on how to enter and prizes forms part of the terms of entry. Entry into the competition is deemed acceptance of these terms and conditions. If there is any inconsistency between these Terms and Conditions and anything else that refers to this competition, these Terms and Conditions will prevail.
3. Contestants consent to their information being used for the purposes of determining the outcome of the competition, including draws and sharing the winner’s details with Harper Collins (Harlequin) for the express purpose of delivering their prize to their address via registered post. This information will not be used for any other purpose outside News Corp, APN Newspapers and affiliated Companies and their subsidiaries.
Who can enter
4. Entry is open to all permanent residents, aged 18 years and over, of Queensland and Northern New South Wales, residing in a region of one of the listed publication distribution areas (see listing below); except employees and immediate families of the Promoter and their associated companies and agencies.
• Mackay - The Daily Mercury
• Gladstone - The Gladstone Observer
• Rockhampton - The Morning Bulletin
• Bundaberg - NewsMail
• Wide Bay - Fraser Coast Chronicle
• Sunshine Coast - Sunshine Coast Daily
• Ipswich - QT
• Warwick - Warwick Daily News
• Gympie - The Gympie Times
• Toowoomba - The Chronicle
• Lismore - Northern Star
• Grafton - The Daily Examiner
• Tweed Heads - Tweed Daily News
• Gold Coast - Gold Coast Bulletin
• Townsville - Townsville Bulletin
• Cairns - Cairns Post
5. Immediate family includes the following: spouse, ex-spouse, defacto spouse, child or stepchild (whether natural or by adoption), parent, stepparent, grandparent, step grandparent, uncle, aunt, niece, nephew, brother, sister, stepbrother, stepsister or first cousin.
6. Entrants must be 18 years of age and older at the time of entry to be eligible to enter.
7. The Promoter reserves the right to request winners to provide proof of identity, proof of residency at the nominated prize delivery address and/or proof of entry validity or proof of registration ownership in order to claim a prize. Proof of identification, residency and entry considered suitable for verification is at the discretion of the Promoter. In the event that a winner cannot provide suitable proof, the winner will forfeit the prize in whole and will not be awarded cash in lieu of prizes.
When to enter
8. The promotions to win the following book titles commence and close on the following dates:
The Paris Model by
Saturday February 15, 2020
Tuesday February 18, 2020
The Good Turn by Dervla
Saturday March 14, 2020
Tuesday March 17, 2020
The Long Road Home by
Saturday April 18, 2020
Tuesday April 21, 2020
The Woman’s Pages by
Saturday May 16, 2020
Tuesday May 19, 2020
The Hunted by Gabriel
Saturday June 13, 2020
Tuesday June 16, 2020
Deadman’s Track by Sarah Barrie
Saturday July 18, 2020
Tuesday July 21, 2020
The Tolstoy Estate by Steven Conte
Saturday August 15, 2020
Tuesday August 18, 2020
The Mystery Woman by Belinda Alexandra
Saturday September 12, 2020
Tuesday September 15, 2020
The Family Inheritance by Tricia Stringer
Saturday October 17, 2020
Tuesday October 20, 2020
Flying The Nest by Rachael Johns
Saturday November 14, 2020
Tuesday November 17, 2020
The Cartographer’s Tale by Tea Cooper
Saturday December 12, 2020
Tuesday December 15, 2020
9. Entries for each competition must be received by the Promoter prior to competition closure date shown in the table at Clause 9.
10. The time of entry will in each case be the time the entry is received by the Promoter, not at the time of transmission by the entrant.
11. The Promoter accepts no responsibility for any late, lost or misdirected entries including SMS messages not received by the Promoter or delays in the deliver of emails due to technical disruptions, network congestion or for any other reason.
How to enter
12. The details of how to enter each competition are set out in the Weekend magazine, inserted in the listed newspapers (clause 4) on the following dates:
- Book 1 – The Paris Model by Alexandra Joel - Saturday February 15, 2020.
• Book 2 – The Good Turn by Dervla McTiernan - Saturday March 14, 2020.
• Book 3 – The Long Road Home by Fiona McCallum – Saturday April 18, 2020.
• Book 4 – The Woman’s Pages by Victoria Purman - Saturday May 16, 2020.
• Book 5 – The Hunted by Gabriel Bergmoser – Saturday June 13, 2020.
- Book 6 – Deadman’s Track by Sarah Barrie – Saturday July 18, 2020.
- Book 7 – The Tolstoy Estate by Steven Conte – Saturday August 15, 2020.
- Book 8 – The Mystery Woman by Belinda Alexandra– Saturday September 12, 2020.
- Book 9 – The Family Inheritance by Tricia Stringer – Saturday October 17, 2020.
- Book 10 – Flying The Nest by Rachael Johns – Saturday November 14, 2020.
- Book 11 – The Cartographer’s Tale by Tea Cooper – Saturday December 12, 2020.
13. Entrants may enter the competition by sending an email to email@example.com
• Entrants must include ‘The Book Club Competition and the book title
in the subject line;
• Body of the email entry must include the following:
o Entrant’s first name and surname;
o Residential and postal address (including suburb, state and postcode);
o the entrant’s consent agreeing to their information being shared by APN Newspapers Pty Ltd with Harper Collins (Harlequin) for the purposes of delivering a prize if selected as a winner. Entrants who do not wish to provide their consent as outlined cannot enter the competition.
14. Entrants are required to take full responsibility for the content of their entry and for ensuring that their entry complies with these terms and conditions.
15. The Promoter reserves the right to verify, or to require the entrant to verify, that the entry is the entrant’s original work. If an entry cannot be verified to the Promoter’s satisfaction, the entry will be deemed invalid. The Promoter may, in its absolute discretion, edit, modify, delete, remove or take-down any part of an entrant’s entry.
16. An entrant’s entry must not include:
- any content that contravenes any law, infringes the rights of any person or is potentially insulting, inflammatory, defamatory, obscene, offensive, discriminatory, indecent or otherwise objectionable or inappropriate (which includes, without limitation, any content involving nudity, malice, excessive violence or swearing). The Promoter reserves the right to disqualify a winner if Promoter becomes aware that the winner and/or the winner’s entry is of a type described in this clause.
17. Any entry that is made on behalf of an entrant by a third party will be invalid, unless the entrant requires the assistance of a third party to enter due to a disability.
18. The Promoter reserves the right to disqualify any entrant who tampers with the entry process, who submits an entry that is not in accordance with these terms and conditions or who has, in the opinion of Promoter, engaged in conduct in entering the Promotion which is fraudulent, misleading, deceptive or generally damaging to the goodwill or reputation of the Promotion and/or Promoter. This includes, but not limited, to entrants and households using multiple email addresses, postal addresses, PO Box addresses or SIM cards to register single or multiple purchases.
Number of Entries permitted
19. Entrants may enter each competition once. A person can receive no more than one prize per competition.
Determining and notifying
20. The winners will be, for each competition, the first 50 email entries received by the Promoter, submitted in accordance with these terms and conditions. The list of winners will be determined at APN Newspapers Pty Ltd, Weekend office, 2 Newspaper Place, Maroochydore Qld 4558 on the following dates by 5:00pm AEST.
- Book 1: Wednesday February 19, 2020;
- Book 2: Wednesday March 18, 2020;
- Book 3: Wednesday April 22, 2020;
- Book 4: Wednesday May 20, 2020;
- Book 5: Wednesday June 17, 2020;
- Book 6: Wednesday July 22, 2020;
- Book 7: Wednesday August 19, 2020;
- Book 8: Wednesday September 16, 2020;
- Book 9: Wednesday October 21, 2020;
- Book 10: Wednesday November 18, 2020;
- Book 11: Wednesday December 16, 2020.
21. If any draw is scheduled on a public holiday, the draw will be conducted on the following business day.
22. The Promoter’s decision is final, and the Promoter will not enter in to correspondence regarding the competition result or any other decisions the Promoter makes about the Promotion.
23. The winners will be notified by telephone and/or email within two days of the draw.
24. The winner’s details will be published in the listed publications’ ‘Public Notices’ section shown in Clause 4, on the following dates:
- Book 1: Saturday February 22, 2020;
- Book 2: Saturday March 21, 2020;
- Book 3: Saturday April 25, 2020;
- Book 4: Saturday May 23, 2020;
- Book 5: Saturday June 20, 2020;
- Book 6: Saturday July 25, 2020;
- Book 7: Saturday August 22, 2020;
- Book 8: Saturday September 19, 2020;
- Book 9: Saturday October 24, 2020;
- Book 10: Saturday November 21, 2020;
- Book 11: Saturday December 19, 2020.
25. Prizes will be awarded to the person named in the entry. However, in a dispute, will be awarded to the account holder/address owner of the entry mechanism used to submit their entry (i.e. mobile phone account holder or land line account holder).
26. Should an entrant’s contact details change during the promotional period, it is the entrant's responsibility to notify the Promoter. A request to access or modify any information provided in an entry should be directed to the Promoter.
Prizes on Offer
27. Individual prize value is up to $32.99 each (inclusive of GST). Total prize pool value per promotion is up to $1,649.50 (inclusive of GST) as at commencement date of each promotion. Total overall prize pool is up to $9,747.00 (inclusive of GST). Fifty winners from each promotion will each receive:
- Promotion 1 – a copy of the book: The Paris Model, RRP $32.99 each;
- Promotion 2 – a copy of the book: The Good Turn, RRP $32.99 each;
- Promotion 3 – a copy of the book: The Long Road Home, RRP $32.99 each;
- Promotion 4 – a copy of the book: The Woman’s Pages, RRP $32.99 each;
- Promotion 5 – a copy of the book: The Hunted, RRP $29.99 each
- Promotion 6 – a copy of the book: Deadman’s Track, RRP $29.99 each;
- Promotion 7 – a copy of the book: The Tolstoy Estate, RRP $32.99 each;
- Promotion 8 – a copy of the book: The Mystery Woman, RRP $32.99 each;
- Promotion 9 – a copy of the book: The Family Inheritance, RRP $32.99 each;
- Promotion 10 – a copy of the book: Flying The Nest, RRP $32.99 each;
- Promotion 11 – a copy of the book: The Cartographer’s Tale, RRP $32.99 each.
28. Unless otherwise expressly stated, prize values are based upon the recommended retail prices at the time of first publication of these Terms and Conditions (inclusive of GST). The Promoter accepts no responsibility for change in prize value between now and the ultimate prize redemption date.
29. No individual prize exceeds $250 and total value of prizes do not exceed $50,000.
30. Independent financial advice should be sought as tam implications may arise as a result of accepting the prize.
31. Prizes cannot be transferred, exchanged or redeemed for cash.
32. It is a condition of accepting the prize that the winner must comply with all the conditions of use of the prize and the prize supplier’s requirements. It is the responsibility of the winner to confirm such conditions with the prize supplier or other relevant third parties.
33. It is a condition of accepting the prize that the winner must comply with all the conditions of use of the prize and the prize supplier’s requirements. It is the responsibility of the winner to confirm such conditions with the prize supplier or other relevant third parties.
34. All entrants agree if they win the prize, they will not, and their companions will not, sell or otherwise provide their story and/or photographs to any media or any other organisation, including the internet. Photographs will be allowed only at the discretion of the Promoter.
Further Terms and Conditions
35. Subject to complying with all relevant State and Territory legislation, the Promoter reserves the right to amend, cancel or suspend this competition if an event beyond the control of the Promoter corrupts or affect the administration security, fairness, integrity or proper conduct of the competition. The Promoter will disqualify any individual who has tampered with the entry process or any other aspect of this competition
36. The Promoter and their associated agencies and companies assume no responsibility for any error, omission, interruption, deletion, defect, delay in operation or transmission, communications line failure, theft or destruction or unauthorised access to, or alteration of entries and reserves the right to take any action that may be available.
37. Entrants are responsible for any cost associated with accessing the promotional website.
Access to that site is dependent on the Internet service provider.
38. If the prize is unavailable, for whatever reason, the Promoter reserves the right to substitute the prize for a prize of equal or greater value, subject to State and Territory legislation. It is a condition of accepting the prize that the winner must comply with all the conditions of use of the prize and prize supplier’s requirements. Each prize must be taken as stated and no compensation will be payable if a winner is unable to use the prize as stated.
39. The Promoter will make reasonable efforts to deliver prizes to the addresses provided by competition entrants. If a prize is returned to the Promoter because it could not be delivered to the address provided, the Promoter cannot guarantee that it will be able to resend the prize to the prize winner. The Promoter and its associated agencies and companies will not be liable for any damage to or delay in transit of prizes.
40. The Promoter reserves the right to redraw the prize if an entrant who claims to be a prize winner is unable to satisfy these terms and conditions.
Copyright, Statutory guarantees, Waiver and Liability
41. In consideration for the Promoter awarding the prize to the winner, the winner hereby permits the winner’s submission, image and/or voice, as recorded, photographed or filmed during the winner’s participation in the prize to appear in connection with the Promoter publications or the advertising or marketing thereof, in any media whatsoever throughout the world and the winner will not be entitled to any fee for such use.
42. In the case of the intervention of any outside act, agent or event which prevents or significantly hinders the Promoter’s ability to proceed with the competition on the dates and in the manner described in these terms and conditions, including but not limited to vandalism, power failures, tempests, natural disasters, acts of God, civil unrest, strike, war, act of terrorism, the Promoter may in its absolute discretion cancel the competition and recommence it from the start on the same conditions, subject to any directions given under State Regulation.
43. The Promoter does not exclude any rights and remedies in respect of goods or services under the Australian Consumer Law in the Competition and Consumer Act (2010) (Australian Consumer Law) which cannot be excluded, restricted or modified. However, the remainder of this clause will apply to the fullest extent permitted by law and the Promoter shall not be liable for any loss or damage whatsoever which is suffered (including but not limited to indirect or consequential loss) or for any personal injury suffered or sustained in connection with any prize/s except for any liability which cannot be excluded by law.
44. The Promoter is not responsible for any incorrect or inaccurate information, either
caused by entrant or for any of the equipment or programming associated with or utilised in this competition, or for any technical error, or any combination thereof that may occur in the course of the administration of this competition including any omission,
interruption, deletion, defect, delay in operation or transmission, communications line or telephone, mobile or satellite network failure, theft or destruction or unauthorised access to or alteration of entries.
45. The Promoter reserves the right in its sole discretion to disqualify any individual who the Promoter has reason to believe has breached any of these conditions or engaged in any unlawful or other improper misconduct calculated to jeopardise the fair and proper conduct of the promotion. The Promoter’s legal rights to recover damages or other compensation from such an offender are reserved.
- Daily Mercury - www.dailymercury.com.au/privacy
- Gladstone Observer - www.gladstoneobserver.com.au/privacy
- The Morning Bulletin - www.themorningbulletin.com.au/privacy
- NewsMail - www.news-mail.com.au/privacy
- Fraser Coast Chronicle - www.frasercoastchronicle.com.au/privacy
- Sunshine Coast Daily - www.sunshinecoastdaily.com.au/privacy
- QT - www.qt.com.au/privacy
- Warwick Daily News - www.warwickdailynews.com.au/privacy
- The Gympie Times - www.gympietimes.com.au/privacy
- The Chronicle - www.thechronicle.com.au/privacy
- Northern Star - www.northernstar.com.au/privacy
- The Daily Examiner - www.dailyexaminer.com.au/privacy
- Tweed Daily News – https://preferences.news.com.au
- Gold Coast Bulletin – https://preferences.news.com.au
- Cairns Post – https://preferences.news.com.au